Friday, April 24, 2009

Can't We Be Friends?

Tonight, my daughter Bryanna is going to a sleep over at one of her friend’s house.  She has been very excited all week.  Each morning at breakfast she has reminded me and Michael how many more days until she goes to Jessica’s.  Yesterday, the day before the big event, she couldn’t hardly contain herself.  Why is she so excited?  Is it because Jessica has better toys than she does?  Is her mom a better cook?  Maybe they have more video games.  Maybe she just wants to get away from us?


I don’t think any of that is the case.  I think it’s because that’s the way she’s wired.  In fact, I think it’s how we are all wired.  I think each one of us has a built in desire to be connected with other people.  We were made for relationships.  God designed each one of us to operate best in community with other people.  


As we get older, we tend to suppress that need because of our own personal hang ups, but it is still there.  Sometimes we get so busy, we just don’t have time to invest in relationships.


In the past couple of years, I have been intentional about building relationships and it has made a huge difference in my life.  Not all of the relationships have turned out well.  I have been hurt deeply by people that I was very close to, but over all the results have been positive.  I actually get excited when we are meeting our friends for dinner or our small group is coming over.  I can’t wait when I get the opportunity to play golf with a friend.


So, I challenge you to take stock of the relationships in your life.  Do you have some good friends that you are doing life with?  If not, take the time.  Go have coffee with someone.  Invite someone over to dinner.  Don’t have a sleep over, though, that could be weird.

2 comments:

  1. I wish we could be in your small group. What night is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great writer Big Guy!

    ReplyDelete