Monday, December 31, 2018

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes


A couple of months ago, I had my 50th birthday and I have to be honest: it bothered me. I’m not one that has ever dreaded getting older, I just think with this milestone it hit me harder than normal about how quickly time passes. Take the last 10 years, for instance. They flew by and I didn’t get nearly all the stuff accomplished I wanted to. In fact, there’s not a lot of difference between where I am now and where I was then. And I think the hardest thing about it is the realization that I’m responsible. I’m the one that didn’t follow through on the goals. I’m the one that didn’t implement and move forward. I’m the one that chose television and social media over personal growth.

But here’s the good news: if it’s on me, then I can fix it. That is liberating. You see, if you are constantly blaming someone else for what’s going on (or not going on) in your life, then you have voluntarily surrendered control of the situation. You are a prisoner of the circumstance. But the moment you take ownership and assert the idea that not only are you the problem, but you are the ONLY solution, you are instantly empowered to steer your own destiny.

Of course, I understand that things happen outside of our control that we can’t change, but if you operate under the idea that you alone can effect change in your life, almost every situation can be improved by improving the one common denominator in all of your problems… YOU!

One of my favorite times of the year is New Years. The possibilities and potential of the upcoming year give me great optimism and right now I am very optimistic about the next ten years. Nothing changes unless something changes and I am changing attitudes and habits.

To kick it off right, I will be starting the new year with an all night ruck starting at midnight. It may be hard and uncomfortable, but most worthwhile things usually are.

Please message me with any changes you are hoping to make this new year and I will root you on.

4 comments: