Thursday, March 26, 2009

To Blog or Not To Blog

Hi, my name is Don. In my first post I want to tell you a little about my self and why I decided to start a blog.

I am the executive pastor of a small church in southwest Virginia (www.blueridgefellowship.com). I am married to Stephanie and have two kids, Bryanna and Michael. I’m sure you will get to know them better through some of my posts.

It’s a little intimidating to start writing a blog. First of all, I think it’s presumptuous to think that anyone would want to read it. With so many good writers out there, why would anyone want to read my blog? Also, I am opening myself up to criticism of my thoughts, ideas and beliefs. Am I crazy to even consider it? Yes. But, here’s why I am doing it anyway:

  • I have loved to write for a long time. In high school I was a features writer for the high school paper. After that I didn’t write for a long time until about 5 years ago when I went back to college to get my bachelor’s degree. I had a psychology professor that required us to write three entries each week in a journal. Through that I rediscovered my love for writing and since then I have continued keeping a journal. I am not saying that I am a good writer, I’m just saying I like to write. I like creativity and I like humor.
  • I think that it will help me look at events in my life a little differently. In other words, I think it will help me look for a different angle, a lesson to learn, something to share in the everyday happenings of my life.
  • Hopefully, it will make me look more critically at my writing and improve over time.

Some of my posts will be about what I am learning in my daily quiet time, others will be about family life and simple observations. I look forward to getting started.

Man, this first one sucked didn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment