Monday, March 30, 2009

You Might Be A Nerd If...

I’m a nerd. There, I said it. It’s out in the open. There’s no need to hide it anymore. For too many years I’ve even denied it myself trying to convince myself that if I buy certain clothes or hang out with certain people it wouldn’t be true. Yeah, sure everyone does that in high school, but not usually when they’re 40.

In case you’ve been wondering about your own nerd orientation, I decided to put together a list of clues that might help you come to terms with your identity.

Ten Clues You Might Be A Nerd

  1. You download more podcasts than songs to your iPod.
  2. Not only do you use a day planner, but you have customized it using www.diyplanner.com.
  3. You buy computer bags based on their ability to store and organize your pens.
  4. You read non-fiction books for fun.
  5. You have a hard time getting rid of books because you’ve highlighted passages, you’ve written notes in the margins, and you are sure you’ll use them as a resource later.
  6. You don’t use financial management software. You would rather put together your own customized spreadsheet with your own formulas.
  7. You favorite features on your new cell phone are the calendar and the task scheduler.
  8. On a Sunday afternoon, you are more excited about Tiger’s last hole birdie to win than you are about Carolina moving on to the Final Four.
  9. Your wife continually makes subtle little comments like, “You’re such a nerd.”
  10. You write a blog.

I ran from my identity in high school but now I can embrace it because I’ve learned that I am not an accident. I can celebrate it because I know that God made me this way for a purpose. There are things I can do for Him and His people that no one else can do. I’m special… and you are, too.

If this list describes you, I’m having a meeting next Thursday. Bring your pens.

1 comment: