Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Where There's Smoke...

One of my greatest friend's is a guy named Rick Powers.  He has been a mentor to me and over the years has really challenged me in my faith.  He called me the other week while we were camping, but I haven't called him back yet.  

The last couple of days I've been thinking a lot about him.  I would like to see Rick, but seeing him always makes me uncomfortable because he always challenges me.  He always makes me realize how far I have to go... how little I know... how little I try... how I need to be more disciplined.  He doesn't accomplish this by judging me or condemning me, but just by the way he lives out his faith.  He probably doesn't even know the impact he has on me.

Rick makes me feel uncomfortable, but Perry Noble says discomfort is good.  In fact, he says that being comfortable is bad.  Being uncomfortable brings about growth and refinement.

One of Rick's favorite verses is "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Prov. 27:17(NIV).  In the literal sense, when sharpening takes place, the result is friction and heat.  That's not comfortable.

I sharpened my lawnmower blades last week and sure enough there was smoke, sparks and dust.  It was a messy process, but in the end the blades were in a better condition to fulfill their purpose.

I called Rick this morning and left him a voicemail.  It's time to get uncomfortable.  Is there someone in your life that makes you better?  I'd love to hear about them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Don, have to agree with you, Rick is an intense believer. Like you said though, he doesn't pressure with questions and challenges, he pressures you by his works and his actions. I also look up to Rick as an fine example of a living breathing CHRISTIAN. Rick to me is the type of man All christians should aspire to be, in fact all human beings should aspire to be. A good man who genuinely cares about his fellow man and isn't afraid to demonstrate it, a fault many of us find in ourselves, myself included. Thanks Don for reminding me of Rick, and thanks rick, for everything!

    ReplyDelete