Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sticks And Stones

Almost twenty years ago I was hiking alone through Doughton Park when I realized that I needed a hiking stick.  I had been on several hikes before when one would have come in handy and on this particular hike I had already crossed a couple of creeks with near damp results.  As I was walking, I happened to look over into a laurel thicket and saw what appeared to be a good candidate.  As soon as I picked it up, I knew I had found my stick.  Sure, it was a little rough around the edges, was too long, and still had the bark on it, but it felt right in my hand.  I took it home, sawed it to the right length, stripped off the bark and added a wrist strap.  Since then that hiking stick has been a faithful companion.  Together we have weathered sleet and freezing rain on Grandfather Mountain and snow in Linville Gorge.  We have crossed creeks and narrow, rocky outcroppings on the sides of mountains.  I really love that hiking stick, but today I gave it away.

Today, my son, Michael, made his first trip to the top of Raven Knob.  He had been eyeing my stick all week so we set a goal to make the climb.  I told him if he made it, the stick was his.  I was glad to give it to him, because in that moment standing on the rock over looking Lake Sabata, I was as proud as a dad could be.  He is growing up.

Last night we prayed together before bed and I asked God to help me raise him to be a good man.  To be a man of integrity, character, moral fiber and, most of all, to be a God-honoring man.  I want him to be known for his honesty and fairness.  I want him to cherish relationships, especially those of his wife and kids.  And, I want him to know Jesus.

After the hike as we were walking back to camp, I noticed him doing something I used to do when I was his age.  He was trying to match my stride.  His little legs stretching out to take the same length steps that I was taking, the same way I used to do with my dad.  It was then that I realized the only way these lessons could be taught was for me to give him a model.  I can't tell him the qualities of a good man without showing him those qualities in my own life, again much the way my dad did for me.  I will never be perfect but I want him to see that I will never give up on getting better. 

Although I loved that stick, I was glad to give it away.  It's now a reminder of the work I have in front of me, not just for Michael but Bryanna as well.  I guess this year that's my Father's Day gift to them.   

1 comment:

  1. Don, this story you wrote about giving your hiking stick that meant so much to you reminded me of my Dad. My Dad passed away in 2006 and he made sure I was to receive all his guns when he passed. These guns mean the world to me because my Dad showed me how to hunt when I was around 8 years old. Hunting isn't just about killing, it's about enjoying God's great outdoors and the silence and peace you receive while sitting out there in the woods. My Dad had a unique funeral, he videoed his own a few years just before he died and during the video he spoke about his four children and he knew two were living right and two were not. It nearly brought me to my knees because I knew I was one of the two that was not living right. I've struggled through some tough times over the past few years but at that moment I knew I must do something with my life and with me having a son I must be a Godly Man and Godly example for him. I read another great story this morning about the dates on a tombstone, the man spoke of the dash between the born and passed away date. He said the born and passed away date wasn't all that important but it was the dash between the dates is what mattered meaning how you spent your life, what influences you made.

    ReplyDelete